Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day

We spent most of last week drinking with Dumbro, so I was looking forward to a healthy weekend of hiking, making s'mores, and drinking from fresh mountain streams. Or something. I threw wholesomeness out the window and packed vodka and Tang instead.

Still, it was totally worth it. Saturday morning we drove to Castle Rock State Park, which is only about an hour south of the city, on Skyline Drive. The weather was gorgeous, and it was Labor Day weekend, but the sites are a 3 mile hike in the parking lot, so there was almost no one else in the Frog Flat campground. Meesh had already been there alone for two days, but she had gone only a little bit feral, and so was lovely company. More friends met us, and we spent the next couple of days hiking, bouldering, and drinking wine/vodka/whiskey that we had carried in like boozy pack mules.
It was fantastic, and a good lead-in to a nutso Family Dinner on Monday night that involved 10 Wellesley ladies and about as many male compatriots. In typical Family Dinner fashion, we cooked and ate and drank and played Celebrity.

When I woke up for work the next morning, my ass was sore from hiking, my shoulders were sunburned, and my clothes from the night before were covered in red wine stains. I felt fulfilled.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

best birthday ever! xoxo