Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Inspiration

I'm trying to gird myself with biking inspiration - I'd like to ride more than I do, both around town and for fun/exercise (mutually exclusive no more!) on the weekends.

I read the Bike NOPA blog, and saw this post on a dude who bikes everywhere with his kid. On his own blog, he documents an apartment move he did in Boston entirely by bike. Holy crapola. Bike NOPA's series on Women Who Bike (I know this chick) was also key in getting me to think of biking as something you can do while wearing heels - you don't have to sweat if you don't want to.

And today I came upon Velominati's rules, of which I am now enamored. I love rules! Especially when I am only sort of part of a culture that has aspects I don't understand. I appreciate the structure. I also appreciate this quote: "It never gets easier, you just go faster." That makes me feel much much better about how I'm doing - I'm definitely faster, but hills haven't gotten any easier to ride. Every time I'm climbing, I like to think that I'm increasing my pain threshold, and that the next time, that hill will be just a tiny bit more bearable.

Another rule I love: "Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly." I now corner at an angle slightly beyond my comfort level, and I am sure that gravity will get the best of me soon, and I will go boom.

Also, the site calls Lance Armstrong a twatwaffle (Rule 4).

2 comments:

Leslie Billie said...

"Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly."

case in point (referring to myself). i have gone through this "cycle" twice now. three time's a charm.

Michelle said...

cool bike sites! don't read many blogs (just one I guess!) but I may have to bookmark that one.

ps cycling is HUGE down here in SD. how did I not know this?? i guess i really am a beginner.