Thursday, February 18, 2010

Witness

I'm so excited - I got the volunteer gig I applied for! Starting next week, I'll be helping Witness use Google tools in their advocacy. Witness (as far as I can tell so far) uses video storytelling to draw attention to human rights abuses. I'm going to be one of several lady Googlers helping them with their online communications strategy. It's going to be rad, I think - it has enough in common with what I do every day (i.e. talk web marketing with and introduce online tools to book publishers) that I shouldn't suck at it, and it's going to involve enough learning to be really interesting.

Witness itself sounds fascinating. It looks like they have a twofold approach; they train people to use storytelling to help those who have gone through traumatic events, and then they take those stories and share them with the world to gain attention for particular causes.

You can see some of the videos here.

No comments: