Wednesday, October 24, 2012

On bandwagoneering

As I write, the Giants are absolutely eating the Tigers' lunch in Game 1 of the World Series. I'm yelling like a maniac at the TV and terrifying my cats. I'm a fair weather fan, I'll admit. But here is my defense.

Mike and I have been going to Giants games all season. Why? I like the guys on the team - they're a bunch of weirdos. I like the fans - there's a great feeling in the stadium, even when we're losing. I love the ballpark - the food and beer are good (especially compared to the Stick), it's easy to get to by public transit, and the view is stunning. All in all, going to Giants games has been one of my best summer of 2012 initiatives (others: buying and shucking my own oysters, outdoor dinner parties, getting my version of a tan without even one disfiguring sunburn).

Evidence:

Aside from actually being at games, however, I didn't catch more than a glimpse in a bar of a Giants game on TV until well into the season. Why? We don't have cable for most of the season (we have it installed each fall for football). I don't go to sports bars. And there are just too damn many games. I have a team t shirt, I have a hat (which I bought at a garage sale for $3 and has foreign sweat stains inside the brim shhhhh), but I'm not an April-til-September diehard fan.

OH MY GOD PANDA JUST HIT HIS THIRD HOME RUN WHAT THE HELL THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm back. This is why blogging while cheering is dangerous. But see how much happiness this team is bringing me? True, I don't suffer acutely when they don't do well. But I support them either way, either with my shoulder shrugs when they lose or my brainless yelling when they win. How can that be a bad thing?

I'm a joiner. That's the way I've always been, and, barring a brain-altering act of man or nature, that's how I'll stay. Panda running the bases is the best jiggly thing, and no one can take that away from me. GO GIANTS!

No comments: